Friday, June 23, 2006

Date night

Tonight was date night. It's nice I get dressed up, go to dinner, a movie. Sometimes, I even make a pass at myself. Who knows I might get lucky, right? So, I took myself to see The Lake House at Celebration! Cinema Grand Rapids - North.
It was a remake of a 2000 Korean film "Siworae" directed by Hyun-seung Lee and Ji-na Yeo. And we all know how much I love Korean films! or foreign films period. Total chick-flick. But sometimes you just need an excuse to cry that has nothing to do with the shambles your life is currently in.
The movie wasn't bad. A lonely doctor, played by Sandra Bullock, who once occupied an unusual lakeside home, begins exchanging love letters with its newest resident, a frustrated architect, played by Keanu Reeves.
Sounds simple enough? Nope.
Bullock's character, Kate Forster is corresponding from 2006. And Reeves' character, Alex Wyler, is corresponding from 2004. Just to recap: 2006, 2004. These time periods aren't exactly mutually exclusive.
However, Bullock's character still exists in the 2004 time period that Reeves is communicating with Kate Forster from and vice versa.

Now it gets a little complicated. So pay attention. See the 2006 Forster can tell Wyler where she was in 2004, and Wyler can cross her path, but the 2004 version of Forster will have no clue who he is.
Clear as a pane of glass, right?
So for them to actually met, the 2006 version of Forster has to figure out where the 2006 version of Wyler is so that they can meet in the present. Seriously, it's not that complicated.
Even though this is impossible, it's clearly amazing and horribly romanic. Exactly my kind of film

Bullock and Reeves are believable. I found myself identifying with their characters' isolation, with their frustration, and with their desire to connect.
(If you don't want the movie ruined for you don't read beyond here)

The plot was predictable.
I knew the moment she ran across the street from Daley Plaza in Chicago that it was him, laying in the street. I knew it was him she had tried to save that Valentine's Day in 2004. It couldn't have been anyone else in a story about time-crossed lovers.
However, by the end I was holding my breath with the rest of the theatre - wondering would he get her note? Would he wait two more years ... or would he rush to Daley Plaza, run across the street and die, leaving her heart-broken in 2006 clasping a mailbox.
It was a nice break after a long day.
I got up at 6 a.m. to interview a source at 7 a.m., ran to work, had five stories dumped in my lap as I was waiting for Gov. Jennifer Granholm to veto the bill to repeal the helmet law in Michigan. (Two reporters were out Friday)

Well, I managed to finish four of the stories and the A-1 package piece about the helmet law for Saturday's front page before I hit overtime. Exhausted it's easy to loss hope. Hope that you will survive another day, hope that you will find a better job, hope that you will find your soul mate.
This movie gave me the hope to hold on just a little while longer - if only for a moment.
Good night.

No comments: