Thursday, June 01, 2006

I totally got flocked


I totally got flocked
Originally uploaded by olivia cobiskey.
I totally got flocked! It was so cool.
After the Allegan County commissioner meeting I found 10 plastic pink flamingos had landed on my desk. In May, I wrote about the Ottawa County Mentoring Collaborative's Flamingo Flocking fundraising campaign. http://hollandsentinel.com/stories/052206/local_20060522013.shtml
For a donation, volunteers from the collaborative will plant for you anywhere in Ottawa County a group of pink birds, known as a stand of flamingos, in someone's lawn or office space. But when I called up the collaborative office to find out who flocked me - I was told it was anonymous. Anonymous, huh? A secret admirer, maybe? Ummm. The potential, the mystery, the possibilities!
I was giggly the rest of the day. It totally lifted my spirits. Who ever you are out there, thank you. It made what had been a really hard week much brighter!
And if you'd like to flock someone - here you go. It's for a good cause.
For a donation of $20 to the Ottawa County Mentoring Collaborative, a flock of 20 pink plastic flamingos can be placed in someone's lawn. For $35, a super-size flock of 40 flamingos can be purchased. And a donation of $10 will put a flock of 10 flamingos in an office or indoor space of your choice. The flock will rest in the yard or office for one or two days before flying off to visit the next unsuspecting victim.
The flamingos will be available in Ottawa County until July 15. Order forms are available at area mentoring agencies, including the MSU Extension office in Grand Haven or call Schleede at (616) 846-8250.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my college roommates and his siblings always leave flamingos all around their parents' yard whenever they go home to visit. Apparently his dad hates the things so they decorate the whole place with them. Each time the dad goes out and collects them all. But then they are just back again at a later date. It's pretty funny.

Olivia Cobiskey said...

It's good to have small traditions like that. Thanks for the story Bri. Oli