Friday, September 22, 2006

Response to Huang's column

After reading Huang's column the thoughts I've had rattling around in my head for weeks now begin to clarify and push themselves out.
Only two years out of graduate school I watch my as my friends flee: photographers putting aside their cameras, reporters their pens for higher paying in public affairs or advertising. Some so burned out that they've taken waitressing or retail jobs just to tide them over as they lick their wounds and heal.
For me, nominated by those same peers as least likely to sell out, I feel as if I have one foot in what I thought my future would be and another foot in what I want my future to be.
As a little girl, while my peers dressed up as princesses and held tea parties, I dreamed of being a journalist. I would run through the house, dodging imaginary bullets, paper and pen in hand, determined to get the story. I can not imagine being anything else. From the time I wake-up until the time I force my body to sleep at night I see the world with the eyes of a journalists. Everyone, everything, every experience a possible story.
And terrified that I will not have the rigor it takes to stay as I watch our newsrooms being dismantled. Sold off to the highest bidder. I agree with Huang that part of journalism, part of being a good journalist, is being uncomfortable and I wonder if I am brave enough to see a different future to myself - one that may not include journalism.
And I have to wonder when we, as journalists will say, "enough" and fight for profession, fight for ourselves and the passion that inspired us to be watch-dogs, to be the voice of the voiceless, to fight for those who could not fight for themselves or what ever other cliche' you'd like to plug in here.
I have to wonder why people who are so willing to stick up for others are so unwilling to stand up for themselves.
I have great respect for the people at the L.A. Times, people who have said that they are not willing to dismatle their newsroom for the sake of an increased profit line. Becaues we all know it's not the papers aren't making money, it's that the leadership wants to make more money.
When is enough, enough?
Olivia

1 comment:

Chris said...

I tried to leave a comment on one blog but it ended up on another.