Thursday, May 11, 2006

Two-Dimensional Zoo


Two-Dimensional Zoo
Originally uploaded by olivia cobiskey.

I commute more than 40 miles a day on I-196 between Grand Rapids and Holland, Michigan. I see the animals on the side of the road. I'm become fascinated by them. It all started last year, a raccoon was laying on the side of the road on the way to Holland. I'd see him everyday - no visual sign of trauma, his fur was neat, he looked fine like he was sleeping. I named him Fred.
I started talking to Fred. I think it was just after my mother had died. I was a little obsessed. I would round the bend of the highway and as I caught a glimpse of him I'd smile and say hello. I watched as his fur got matted and he started to swell and then as his body concaved. I eventually pulled over and buried him. I said Kiddush.
A little while later, the idea for the project started to evolve. Taking photos of the animals, a kind of two-dimensional zoo, to include in an art installation. But what would the installation be about: I'm still not sure. I've played with the idea of talking to the Human Society, getting numbers of how many animals are killed each year on U.S. highways. Or I would use the pictures to talk about how the increased number of child deaths at the turn of the century by automobiles changed how our society regarded children and childhood at the time.

It will eventually come to me.

Right now I'm just taking photos. This was the first photo I took. Usually the animals are raccoons, opossum, sometimes, deer. But seeing a cat is really rare. I decided to start my project with her. Check out my flickr page to see more.

No comments: